Sunday, June 18, 2006

Día del Padre

Today is one of those days where I feel a little twisted about the day. Maybe it's because I lost both my biological father and step-father at a young age; my father died when I was 13 and my Dad died when I was 18 years old. Both deaths were tough for me to deal with but I felt more pain for my mother that loved, married and lost men she cared about.

Actually, I'm not a fan of Father's Day. Today, is a day when people typically feel that they have to show respect for their father or give him a card professing their love and respect for all the things that he does. Why is it emphasized today when there are 364 other days when it should take place.

My words to my family went something like this, "Don't give me no damn tie, socks, underwear or shirts. I can buy all that shit myself. If you want to give me something, say some extra prayers for me and the family. Thank you." Well, my family did pay attention and I received some great cards, Reverend Run's Words of Wisdom: Daily Affirmations of Faith and last but not least, a polo shirt. Hey, what can I say? At least a portion of the message was received and for that, I'm ever thankful.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger