Friday, April 24, 2009

Nike AF1 ID x Laser P: The Dee Wells Born Day Sneaker...

This past Tuesday was the Birthday for the one and only Dee Wells of OSD. Those of you who know Dee "Sole Proprietor" Wells know he's as cool as the AC in a Bentley, and surprising him is a task that should come with medical benefits. With that said, I set out to catch him completely OFF GUARD with a gift he would NEVER see coming. I coordinated the efforts with my OSD Crew (World Famous), Mayor (Air Force 1 Aficionado), and Laser P (2nd coming of Mark Smith), and I set out for 21 Mercer Street (NYC) to design the perfect AF1...for Dee! Here are the pictures, and below them the story behind each phase. WALK GOOD!

The Design Inspiration: Flag of the U.S. Virgin Islands...

The colors on these sneakers are inspired very simply by the colors of Dee's native U.S.V.I. (United Stated Virgin Islands). All of the colors from the flag for his lovely Caribbean homeland are used on the sneaker (except the color from the top of the shield on the flag). It took me a short while to put the colors together in a way that will make instant sense to Dee when he opened the box, but I think I got it.

The Rendering: Created at Nike Sportswear 21 Mercer Street NYC...



The finishing touch on the sneakers: Courtesy of Laser P in Florida...

I always knew that I wanted to make sure the sneakers had an above average touch to them. I remembered a conversation between Mayor and I where he showed me the work of one Laser P. It was very clean and accurate...I was hooked! BUT, when was I gonna have a pair of shoes done that would require his services? BINGO...Here it was! Mayor promptly shipped the shoes to Laser P. On OSD, the catch phrase started by Dee and that is now a regular part of our lingo and correspondence with the rest of the sneaker world is "WALK GOOD". So I figured, what better way to express that without saying it? Put it on the front of his shoes. The font, sizing, and placement of the phrase on the shoes could not have been better. Props to Laser P . I'm sure as more people see this your phone will begin ringing.

I think we got the drop on him y'all! Final Destination: Worcester, MA...

Upon arrival to Dee, He was completely floored! To Mrs. OSD,...no, we did not make you look bad. The goal was to make sure when he's out and about with you and your daughter, the world knows you are in the company of a man that knows exactly how to "Walk Good!". We classed him up for you (LOL).

The sneaker was indeed a project that was a labor of love and I'm happy with every step of the process. I'm sure the OSD Crew, Mayor, and Laser P are happy to have been a major part of it too.

So, as Dee would say, keep your laces tied tightly, your tongues loose, and.... You know the rest. Just look at the front of Dee's shoes...


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger